Sea Urchin Sushi Set - Nigiri, Uramaka, Gunkan Maki - Serves 4
Sushi is a great way to involve your family in cooking and understanding the wonderful flavour of sea urchin. In Japan, uni is generally served as gunkan maki sushi – but you can experiment with different styles. We’ve suggested three in this recipe.
- 200g Sea Urchin Harvest Uni Gold
- 300g sushi rice
- 500mL water
- 60mL rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 pack nori sheets
- Light soy sauce, to serve
- Wasabi, to serve
- Pickled ginger, to serve
To cook the rice
- Place into a small pot with the water and soak for 20 minutes then bring to the boil. Put the lid on, reduce a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Allow to cool.
- Dissolve the sugar into the vinegar and fold through the cooled rice with a spatula.
To make the sushi
- Experiment with different shapes and techniques. Whatever is your favourite. We suggest nigiri, uramaki and gunkan maki as three easy shapes that work well with sea urchin.
- Serve with light soy sauce, fresh wasabi and pickled ginger.